|Cauliflower and Mozzarella Samosas with hot mint chutney
|Preparation Time: 30 mins approx
CAULIFLOWER, BROCCOLI AND MOZZARELLA SAMOSAS WITH MINT CHUTNEY
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 225 g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 225 g broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- black pepper
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1 kg puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 110 g mozzarella, diced
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
For the hot mint chutney:
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 cups of fresh mint leaves
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind water
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 150 ml water
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add in the finely chopped shallot.
2. Add in the cauliflower and cook gently, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add in the broccoli and stir well.
4. Add the curry powder, pepper and flour and cook, stirring now and then, for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and salt and stir well.
6. Add in the stock, stir well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes over a gentle heat.
7. Remove from the heat, stir in the mint and set aside to cool.
8. Roll out the puff pastry and cut out 13cm circles. Slice each puff pastry circle in half.
9. Take a puff pastry semi-circle. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the cauliflower mix into the centre of the pastry and top with a little mozzarella.
10. Combine the beaten egg and the cream.
11. Brush the edges of another puff pastry semi-circle with the beaten yolk mixture and place over the cauliflower-filled disc, pressing the edges together to seal well. Repeat the process until all the pastry semi-circles have been used up.
12. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
13. Place the filled samosas on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with the beaten yolk mixture and sprinkle with the poppy seeds.
14. Bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden brown.
15. Meanwhile, make the mint chutney. Place the coriander seeds, mint, spring onion, chilli, tamarind water, sugar, garam masala and water in a food processor and blend together roughly.
16. Serve the warm samosas with the hot mint chutney.